Wednesday 26 February 2014

WIP Wednesday & New York Day 3


I have finally managed some sewing!!! After browsing various blogs and websites last night I saw a couple of projects that took my fancy so thought rather than just put them on my to do list I would make a start and luckily enough I had the required amounts of fabric already in my stash :) Here is one of the projects at www.canoeridgecreations.com the design is called 'Flying Together' I have made it slightly smaller as I have a pillow insert to fit my revised size.

I am linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday. I will quilt it and make it up into a cushion tomorrow evening or over the weekend.


This time last week we had another full on day of exploring New York. We hit the subway and headed off to Battery Park to get the ferry to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. It was freezing, when we came out of the museum in the pedestal of the statue it was very sleety and grey. Thankfully the weather soon lifted as you can see from the photo below.


This was taken from Ellis Island, where all the immigrants were processed before it was decided if they were allowed to enter the US or if they were to be returned to where they had arrived from.

After a bite to eat and a quick trip down Wall Street, photos to follow later as I can't find them at the moment, we headed off to Ground Zero.


This is the South Pool, built in the footprint of the original South tower. There are bronze panels around both pools which are inscribed with the names of all who perished. A white rose is placed in a persons name on their birthday. 


The National September 11 Memorial and Museum is due to open in May so we were unable to see it but did manage a glimpse inside part of it.


Once the Museum opens visitors will be able to go down into the vast spaces of the original foundations alongside a remnant of Survivors Staircase which was used by hundreds to escape. 


This photo shows the Survivor tree, a Callery pear tree that was found in the remains of the towers. It was taken off site, nurtured back to health and returned in 2010.

Thats its for today. Back for the final instalment tomorrow. 







1 comment:

Glinda ♥ said...

That's a great block, Sam, very versatile and lovely colours. Blends in brilliantly with your photos. What a wonderful trip - we'll go to New York one day. We were on our Honeymoon in DC on 9/11 ... a surreal experience.